Etsy

Thursday, April 23, 2015

DIY Powdered Laundry Detergent!

 

 

DIY POWDERED DETERGENT

It's compatible with high efficiency and traditional washing machines. With just 3 ingredients, it'll deep clean, preserve colored fabrics, and it's gentle on your wallet!


I feel like I am always doing laundry. With a toddler, nothing is safe. Dirt, oatmeal, blueberries, apple juice... you name it, it lands on her clothes and sometimes my couch. I'm pretty messy myself. Instead of using paper towels, I like to minimize my carbon footprint and use dish towels (or 'ma-peen' in my house). Anyway, all this laundry means a lot of laundry detergent.

The laundry touches our skin everyday. The blanket on the couch, your child's pillow, panties.. I think it's important that we know what we are using to clean these everyday. I am a big fan of a company called Melaluca (I'll write more about that later) and I've been using their detergent. It's the high end of pricing but I trust their products and every ingredient is safe. All of their products are so safe that their not required to put child-proof covers on them!

I've been focusing on our budget very thoroughly lately. I've found ways to cut costs without cutting quality. I knew after some research that I could totally create laundry detergent myself- I already have the soap! :)

I use the recipe below and store it in an air-tight container. You can always cut the batch in half if you don't need as much. Perfect for both traditional and HE machines!

 

 

 

DIY LAUNDRY DETERGENT:



-1 bar (4.5oz) of handmade soap
-1 cup of Borax
-1 cup of washing soda
-Essential oils (optional)


Using a grater, shred the soap until its very fine. If the soap seems soft, spread it in a thin layer and allow it to dry out over night. Combine the soap, Borax, and washing soda and mix thoroughly. Heads up- the powders smell very strong! Add your own special blend or a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix thoroughly and store it in an air tight container. Use 1-2 tablespoons for regular washes or 2-3 tablespoons for heavier soils. 
 If you don't feel like going through the hassle of making it yourself, we've done it for you! Our lavender, lemon, and rosemary detergent can be found HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment